Monday, January 26, 2009

The Trilobite


It's been a while since I've posted. My camera pooped out a week or so ago and I haven't been able to find a replacement yet. So, I'm relegated to what I can fit under a scanner bed.
I am at work carving the Limulus print and though it is satisfying carving out the little details, it's a bit stressful. The economy being what it is I had to buy a cheap piece of plywood for this large print. The top veneer is very soft and the grain cleaves together so tiny details can flake away without warning. I've tried to remedy this with a few washes of water proof wood glue and this seems to be helping so I'm just going to cross my fingers and have at it.
My Limulus key block consists of a detailed border and a single large Limulus (horseshoe crab) in the middle. I plan to have several small trilobite blocks printed around in the back ground and getting around to sketching the designs for them has been like pulling teeth.
Yesterday, I finally decided to bite the bullet and sit down and design at least one trilobite. I recognized that one of my sticking points is that I am intimidated be the variety of form with the trilobites and though I am familiar with their general shape I still needed some important information on their design. (This was also a sticking point in the Limulus design!) I printed several images off the internet and actually bought a small trilobite fossil from a local jewelry shop. My study last night proved helpful. I am starting to recognize key features that every trilobite must have. I also pick out flaws in my own little sample. Poor little Moroccan Trilobite sample! Someone accidentally chipped off some of his eye! :(
At any rate, this sketch on water color paper is the result of the study. Pretty much all the specimens of trilobites that you see are a single color of black, grey, brown, or tan-whatever stone they happen to be incased in. I thought it would be fun to dress this guy up in some contemporary coloring to set him apart from his buddies so we'll see how this progresses!

2 comments:

Zach VanDeHey said...

Sounds like a cool idea, what kind of plywood are you using right now? Is this going to be a oil based print?

Lana Lambert said...

Sorry for the delay in answer Zach! I'll catch up with you next post!