Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Wazzermelonz!


Here is a proof of my finished key block for "The Seedless Watermelon" broadside. I was without my camera when I finished in the studio so alas, I lack the pristine finished block shot. I just couldn't wait to see how it looked and proofed it up anyway. There is something so satisfying in that moment between just finishing a block and inking it up for the first run. I don't think Hinduism would be such a jump for a printmaker. (At least in my process) The printmaker labors over a drawing until achieving what he/she considers perfection and then stands back and says "Ah, what a beautiful work of form and art! A lovely drawing! But you are destined for another incarnation!" And so, the printer transcribes the beloved drawing to a block and labors over the object with his/her tools until achieving what is considered perfection and stands back. "Ah, what a beautiful sculpture! A lovely relief! But you are destined for another incarnation!" And so, the printer inks up the block and proceeds to print lovely images one after another. The printer says "Ah, what beautiful children! Go and be plentiful and share yourselves among the people!" That's my romantic spin on printmaking. Catch me next week ripping my hair out over registration or crappy ink. :)
Anyways, here is a rough coloring in photoshop that I did:

I plan on printing them up on Rives BFK Cream. I have a block ink that I purchased from Graphic Chemical called Antiquarian Black. I'm hoping it will print up really richly against the cream. The above is a grayscale image but it was pulled on Masa paper in Antiquarian Black and I think the icy white dampened any warmth that was in it.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Oh, Lana!
I love your description of woodblock printing. I plan to print it out and stick it on my wall to remind myself how awesome it is so that the little frustrations don't overwhelm me. Your print is so lovely, as well!!
Lynn Starun

Lana Lambert said...

LOL, yeah, I was thinking about it this morning and it would be a great print or book to do. Sometimes I get sad because people don't understand the effort and patience that block printing takes but that pales to actually practicing the art. Maybe we suffer a printmaking addiction! Yes please! Print it out! Pin it up! Let's remind ourselves why we do what we do!

Annie B said...

This is looking great!