Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Seedless Watermelon


The McGuffey Art Center has agreed to have a show in October for the benefit of Meals On Wheels. Meals On Wheels is an organization that drives meals around town to shut-ins who would otherwise not be able to cook for themselves at home. A percentage (I can't remember how much!) of sales for that show will go to Meals On Wheels. I'd imagine that those people could use that scratch right about now seeing as their drivers are voluntary and they DON'T get reimbursed for the cost of gas. We've all agreed to make pieces of art with the theme of food. I could do a still life of fruit or what have you but I like to stir things up. I have really been thinking lately about how we are running the planet into the ground and how the presumed answer to hunger around the world and in countries with low-arable land is GM crops. Well, there is a lack of arable land because we have not taken care of our soils and that needs attention first. The only thing you'll get out of GM crops on low-arable land is the need in a few years for new GM crops to thrive in non-arable land. Also, I have been reading books on seed saving and the recommendations are to grow plants that are open pollinated or heirloom. To my amazement when I went through my regular seed catalogs, 90% of the seeds sold were hybrids. This means if one were to save seed from the hybrid (if it were viable), the next generation would not be "true" to the first. It would revert to a lesser crop or not produce at all. Then I stumbled onto "Seedless Watermelons" seed. Everyone loves seedless watermelon. I love seedless watermelon but as a future seed saver, the fruit would be useless to me. It struck me that if something horrible happened tomorrow to our infrastructure, the majority of the populous would be too ignorant to feed itself for very long. They would die or kill each other for the remaining food. Our ancestors traversed the deserts in Egypt with watermelons to quench their thirst. The thick empty rinds were even sometimes filled with water. Were the fruits cursed for the tedious habit of having seeds? Doubtful. I feel more and more isolated from my generation as I see more and more people fall under the slumber of convenience and ignorance. So, far be it from me to treat anyone to a simple unbiased still life of fruit. I am working on a broadside of seedless watermelons resting in the sand. I've already set the passage in 12pt. Tudor Black. I don't have a very extensive set and pretty much only have 3 e's left after setting it all up. The photoshopped version features a different font.
On a lighter note, my mystery veggie is finally having babies! A few of these vines popped up uninvited when I planted flowers and dill. I recognized the leaves and let them hang out. For the longest time the little yellow buds blossomed, got fertilized, and then dropped off before fruition but now they appear to have taken hold. I wonder what my little fuzzles will be?

No comments: