Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Two Dragons One Pearl


I started this little number while I carve the Limulus block. When I get tired of carving wood I begin to pluck linoleum and visa versa. This project is also a farmer's market venture. I LOVE books with beautiful covers depicting mysterious places and curious things and I am hoping that someone else will too. I have decided to design three book covers for journals that capture this enthusiasm and go further if the market allows. They will all be key block images that will be inked up in tint base and then dusted with gold or silver powder to create a gilded look. I have a deep red paper for this image and it will be dusted in gold. I'm also excited to use my Vandercook for this. I LOVE using my presses. This block image has given me some relief from the Limulus print as I'm starting to go stir crazy with the DNA and geometrical stars. The repetition is mind numbing and I have a feeling it has contributed to my recent clumsiness. The organic shapes of the twisting dragons with their snarling teeth and liquid flames and helped relieve my brain of the monotony in the Limulus border. I can't wait to finish it and proof it up!

3 comments:

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Proof! proof!

Annie B said...

This looks like a lovely design from what I can see. Here's hoping for lots of market support.

chimerastone said...

I hope you print out a rough it would be wonderful to see your design.
I love buying blank book with lovely covers they normally end up as notebooks, sketch or scrap book. If only I had the courage to turn my designs into art.