Friday, March 14, 2008



I think now it's time for a change. I originally reserved this blog for fine art and current work posting. There is supposed to be no content featuring my private life/opinions but I've found that those are the arteries to my working process and often the roots of inspiation for me so it's not going to be strictly about work now but you'll see that everything leads there eventually.
So my husband and I have recently gotten back into making beer. He possessed the knowledge to begin with but I naturally enjoy helping because I'm the one who wants a garden and chickens. This is a photo of our brew at the beginning when you must simmer the grains in a muslin sock at a moderated temperature. For those of you who are thinking about learning, go to NorthernBrewer.com. They are the best! Anyways, there is a piece of my heritage in this photo. When we pulled everything out to start brewing (it was kept scrunched up in the corner of a cabinet....bad....bad...bad), we found that his thermometer was broken at the end. Yikes! I love antiques and have a small collection of things my ancestors have used down the generations (I've got my great uncle's cattle cane with notches carved in it to represent hash marks for heads.) including my great grandmother's candy thermometer. I don't know how Mawmaw would feel about her candy thermometer making beer but it sure did work! Pat bottled the beer yesterday night and we have to wait 3 weeks to see how it will turn out. I hope it'll be good!
Perhaps I will post later as I received some copies of Bill Boys "Small World" entry that I carved the blocks for. They look great in color and I was glad to participate in a collaborative effort! (Hint, Hint for those of you who would like to collaborate on a piece with me!)

No comments: